Sunday, August 30, 2015

Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish

I have a piece of metal that looks like this: 


But I want it to look more like this:



Obviously one color of paint isn't going to do the trick. I found some DIY videos that gave some good suggestions.

This is the technique I am going to try first.



Stay tuned to see how it turns out.





Follow up:


September 1, 2015

Step 1.  I wanted to create some texture on the smooth surface, so I used very course sandpaper to scratch it up a bit. For deeper texture I used an angle grinder to scrape and gouge at it a bit. That was reasonably successful.

Step 2. Apply the ultra flat black paint. I was disappointed with the results of this. I found it impossible to get uniform coverage with the paint. Since this is a base coat and will probably not show through I think I can proceed with the next layers.

At least its not green anymore.



The copper paint specifically says not to apply in high humidity. Feeling an overwhelming need to make progress I did it anyway. The result was slightly textured but for this application I think I can work with that.


The next layer "oil rubbed bronze" paint didn't do well in high humidity. I will have to sand most of that off and give it another try.




After a little sanding and some cooperation from the weather, I'm back to a good layer of copper color.


The final version has just a touch of gold color to give it more of a brass look.





No comments:

Post a Comment