Sunday, August 16, 2015

First Project

So, what should the first project be?


I am strongly tempted to do something fairly quick and easy so I can point and say, "See, this is the sort of thing I'm talking about." It would also be a confidence booster for me and create some momentum.

On the other hand..

I feel the need to create some identity that is separate from the average steampunk lamp. So, the idea that is at the forefront right now is a wall hanging of moving parts. This idea is supported by some of the parts I have already collected. It also has the potential of becoming the image I can use as a brand identifier. Once photographed and captured on video it might be used for business cards, the header for a web page and other marketing avenues.

I hope to get help from a skilled photographer for the "after" picture.  In the mean time, here are some of the parts that contribute to the "before" picture.


The Frame - about 2.5 inches thick. It will have to be a different color before it will be suitable.


A little brass bit that I find appealing.


I am giving strong consideration pulling parts from my dying bandsaw. 


Lots of interesting connecting rods in this old adding machine.


I'm excited about my idea that will activate the gauges without the need to design electronic circuitry. By turning the armature of a miniature electric motor, it acts as a generator sufficient to make the needles move. By offsetting a connecting rod I should be able to turn the motor at a variable speed thus putting the needles in continuous motion.

No comments:

Post a Comment