Thursday, July 23, 2015

Moving Parts

It really is about the moving parts.


The lot of gauges I purchased on E-Bay arrived today. There are some pretty cool ones in the mix.

At least they have moving parts and it should be entertaining to design a circuit that will generate random voltages to put them in motion.


I like the idea of creating motion mechanically rather than electrically. Today it occurred to me that the spring in a music box might be the answer for that. I picked up a music box at the Salvation Army store and confirmed that with the plinky music thing removed it is a quiet motive force with a fair amount of torque. The next problem to solve is transferring that force to another gear.



It occurs to me that this should be part of the backstory:


Back before computers were affordable (about 1981) I built this one with visions of it growing into a complete computer or at least something that had entertaining blinking lights. It never quite worked but it was great entertainment to assemble.  






No comments:

Post a Comment