Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Progress happens even with mistakes

I decided to use the linseed oil and am quite pleased with the results I got wet sanding the oil. On the oops side of things, I wanted to protect the  wood for overnight storage. Surely a sponge  would make a nice cushion for the wood to rest on. It turns out that a sponge soaks up the linseed oil and leaves a discolored spot on the wood. Lesson learned.






Since this project is going to use several clock motors I decided it would better to run them all from one set of batteries instead of lots of individual ones. To make this happen I need to solder leads to each motor. This is made difficult by the fact that the contact points for the batteries are spring steal. Not a practical surface to solder to. At the end of the day, after several failed attempts, it occurred to me I could put an aluminum pop-rivet through the contact, and have a usable surface. I'll give that a try first thing tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment