Sunday, December 6, 2015

Small Discoveries

With a studio space rented and ready to set up,  a workbench is one of the essential things to put in place. Harbor Freight sells a bench that looks pretty good.


It looks better in the picture than it does in  person. It certainly did not feel sturdy enough to justify the $160 price.

I discovered a Habitat Restore that I had not been to before. They sell donated items to financially support Habitat for Humanity. I would rather hand them my money than Harbor Freight anyway, so I was pleased when I found three drawer stacks and a section of counter top.


The whole setup for only $50 


When assembled it is strong enough to hold an anvil and everything else I can imagine stacking on it. 

+++++++++++++++    

Then I discovered that not all microwaves are alike.

Since a microwave oven is a good source for a synchronous motor, I snagged an old discarded microwave. When I started dismantling it I discovered it didn't have a synchronous motor but it did have ...


... a nice assortment of contact switches  


... permanent magnets on a turntable


AND ...  a speed reduction direction change gear box.



With these little treasures, its okay with me that I didn't find a synchronous motor.


No comments:

Post a Comment